Tuesday 23 September 2014

Poetry Slam


I enjoy poetry and love sharing this with the students I teach. Unfortunately, the minute you utter the words ‘poetry’ you can hear the groans and look of boredom spreading over their faces. I find it a little upsetting that children these days have no idea about well-known poets or poems. In the past I have taught my year 5/ 6’s ‘The Highway Man’ and the ‘Lady of Shallot’ with great success. With The Lady of Shallot we created a whole cross curriculum unit on it and even performed the poem to other classes using mix media to tell the story.

I try to immerse my classes with a range of poetry. Whether it be through guided reading, handwriting, word study activity or even as a class read. I think it is important for them to experience and learn how important poetry is. I am much the same when it comes to Shakespeare and believe that there is a place for him in primary education. Probably why I loved this Ted talk and why I wanted to do something like a rap or poetry slam unit.

 I loved the idea of linking music and writing and being able to describe the characteristics of poetry in jazz, rap and hip hop music. There were so many wonderful ideas swirling around in my head and it also made me realise how easy it was to create a cross curriculum topic on this that could also incorporate, history, geography, art, values etc.

As a class this is what we wanted to achieve by the end of the unit.

  • Introduce students to spoken word poetry: Slam Poetry
  • Give them the opportunity to create and perform poetry
  • Practice working in a group and speaking in front of the class
  • Learn and understand some poetry terms and techniques


In groups students identified basic poetry and literacy elements. They looked at Eminem, Notorious BIG, 50 cent, Andre 3000, Tupac, Snoop Dog and many more. For most of these raps/songs, I gave them snippets of the words rather than the whole thing. We also looked at poems and did the same-  Robert Frost, ‘Road less taken’, Langston Hughes,’ I dream a world’, Mya Angelo, and others I felt that they should know of.

From that I introduced poetry slam. I showed them EliseWilson

To This Day Project - Shane Koyczan

If I should have a daughter -Sarah Kay

My students really surprised me at how well they could articulate the message in these three slams.

I spent a lot of time discussing the techniques (as well as I could) of a poetry slam and looking at how rhythm and rhyme were important. We looked at how certain words were ‘stress’ ‘speed up or slow down etc.

After this, students were given 3 things they could slam about in their groups. In the end most decided to slam about ‘bullying’ as Relationships was our Value and we had taken part in “Pink Shirt’ day. I also think Shane Koycan’s slam left a huge impact on them.

It was a fantastic unit and I know the class and myself thoroughly enjoyed it.

 I did record them but somehow lost all of them! As I did this last term and only blogging about it now, I have tried to get one group to record their slam but we have had a few illnesses in the class! Here is what they wrote though.


Standing with a friend who is being bullied doesn't mean you have to take a punch for them.
We feel alone- small and weak.
Scared to go out and speak.
Every day the pain keeps increasing.
All of their pain they keep releasing.
The kids need help but who’s gonna give it?
All day every day we sit and wonder why somebody doesn’t stop it?
Then I realised I am somebody.
Calling someone ugly won’t make you prettier.
Calling someone stupid won’t make you smarter.
Calling someone a loner won’t make you popular.
Calling someone fat won’t make you skinnier.
Why do you do it?
There’s no reason.
Shadows leapt up behind me.
I never know who it is?
Was it a Friend?
Was it a teacher?
Before I could think I was 6 feet in the air.
The sun blocked my eyes but a few features could be noticed.
Long hair
Pierced ears
Big nose
Big mouth
Yellow teeth
I felt a dribble of spit flickering at me.
The eyes…
I couldn’t see something was covering me.
Across the distance 3 shadows became smaller.
I felt the wind sweeping through my right ear but nothing on the left.
I was let go
I felt great
I felt alive
I was free
Free from pain
We walk into the darkness hardly to see, they punch me they kick me they through me to the ground.
Every time someone calls my name the harsh words jumbling in my brain.
Our bodies crumple into the ground being deteriorated into little pieces.






No comments:

Post a Comment