Wednesday 29 October 2014

Timetables

This term in the classroom we are learning to use timetables to decided what we will be doing each day.
We started this week and it seemed to go pretty well. There are already a few changes I know I need to make for next week but overall I am very impressed at how the class adapted to this so fast.

We have had a busy start to the term as we have had Athletics day as well as Softball training so it has meant that our hours of independent work has dramatically decreased.

Each Monday students will take their own timetable and review my timetable which will be on the IWB. By doing this, they can see what is happening during the week that are compulsory and when they will meet me for reading and writing groups. Once they have been pencilled in, they then look at their MUST/ CAN activities and decide when they are going to do them.

MUST activities are compulsory and tend not to change week to week. It usually is, touch typing/handwriting ( handwriting books for a small group only), spelling, reading, timetables, 100WC and a science question. Then I add in others that are relevant to their Topic for the term.

CAN activities are a range  activities that they do to help consolidate their learning. Most are linked to maths, art, music etc and some link to our Topic  Some of the class are doing their own choice and therefore don't complete the CAN'S. This is a small group of students who have shown that they are 100% self managers and therefore I have given them the chance to decide on their own learning during these times.

Changes:
I will divide the timetable into 30 minutes slots as students tended to only write one activity in.
I will add in all the MUST's for my 'directed' students which will be at the beginning of the week. (rest can decide when and where they put them as they understand they need to be completed by the end of the week).
Make sure I have seen everyone's Timetable by the end of class on a Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment