Monday 18 August 2014

My kitchen is like my teaching- it is forever changing.


 
 

I have made a radical change and turned my utensil so the handles now face to the back. Yes, I know I may have joined this club late and it was so last year. But for the life of me I can’t understand why I have been putting my utensils the other way round for all these years!

Dare I say it; teaching can be a little like this as well. We get comfortable with what we are used to. We are all a little bit weary of ‘new fads’. It’s the ‘been there, done that’ mentality that we are all saying in the back of our heads. To be honest, fashion is a great example. It comes and goes and then somehow re invents its self again.  Look at how popular vintage and retro is now? Who would have thought the formica table would be back! Therefore we sometimes question the new and scoff that in a year or two it will disappear.


'A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but noting ever grows there'. - Unknown
Some of us stick to what we have always known even though it may not be the most practical solution. My utensil draw is fine both ways but a very simple change and now I can see what each one is rather than playing the ‘guess who that handle belongs to’ and it is a lot faster. No wasted time hunting for something that usually ends up being right in front of me.

Things are changing. When I was at school, it was normal for a teacher to get out the OHP (yes, showing my age) and all we did was copied out copious amounts of work. I am sure if there had been a drama element to history I would have learnt more!  

Worksheet were in, textbooks were trendy and the more maths books you used up was a sure sign you were learning.

But… that is not how it is these days. Sometimes we have to break with what we are used to and branch out. Learn new things and give it a go. I have no idea about QR codes, I’m not a wizz with technology, and I am trying to understand SOLO and many more new ideas that flood my Twitter account. One of the best things a teacher can do is continue their professional development. Learn new things, challenge the norm, and take a risk. We ask it all the time from our students but are we willing to do it ourselves?

I always question myself and my teaching. If it has been a success, fine don’t change it. But if you are not seeing any progress or year by year the same issues are arising maybe turning something around could work.

Changes need to take place even the small ones can make a difference.
Move out of your comfort zone.
'You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something NEW'.  - Brian Tracey




No comments:

Post a Comment