Thursday 14 July 2016

Te Reo


Over the year I have been re thinking the way I have been teaching Te Reo in my classroom. Usually it is a 30 -minute lesson once a week. I began to find this wasn't working for my class in the the fact it was only a one off lesson and by the time we re-visited the following week a lot of the students had forgotten their Reo.

I decided to do a 15 minutes lesson every day and started incorporating activities into their language programme to help consolidate previous and new learning. So after our Karakia each day we started to do mini lessons based on the topic we were looking at that term.

My emphasis was to make sure that my class were pronouncing the words correctly and had time to consolidate this. This is where I felt a one off lesson a week wasn't helping with this. My students needed time each day to work on their pronunciation and to listen to themselves and others speaking.


When we learnt about Te Tinana (the body),  I had already establish that the majority of my class knew their basic body parts thanks to 'Head, shoulders, knees and toes' song in Te Reo therefore I decided to extend them by teaching them the rest of their body parts. Once we had spent time learning how to pronounce each body part correctly, we moved on to asking simple commands to help identify them.

Kei hea? (Where is your)       Anei taku (here is)

We also played a matching game in groups/pairs (as shown in the picture below)

Twinkl




During their language time, students were able to work in pairs/small groups to either play the matching game or ask Kei hea? 

We also did this when we learnt about about Akomanga (my classroom). I used a lot of the ideas from this site. Parts of our classroom were already labelled in Te Reo so my class were able to identify a few items already. We used the command 
'He aha tēnei? - What is this?'
Children used the cards to help consolidate their learning.


There were a number of ways they used these from 'matching game' 'memory' 'snap' etc. 

After each term, students still continued to use these cards and pictures during their language and free time.

I saw a vast improvement in their learning and saw the benefits of doing mini lessons each day rather than a one off lesson each week. 




No comments:

Post a Comment