Tuesday 11 October 2016

That one child.



Every Kids needs a Champion   by Rita Pierson says it all.

Every year we are given students we struggle to connect with. This year for me it happened. It seems like a terrible thing to say but it can happen. I saw it straight away and reflected on how was I ever going to find a connection with this one child. They were so disengaged, uninterested and had no empathy for their peers. Yet I also knew they didn’t have the greatest home life and therefore lacked a lot of confidence and self-esteem. 

As Rita say in her Ted Talk, 'until the relationships are built the ‘real’ learning will not happen'. There is a value and importance of human connections. It took me nearly two terms to find a connection with this child and it developed over reading. One-one reading with them every day and I saw a side to this child I had never seen before. They would smile, feel proud of their efforts and enjoy themselves. Better yet, their reading improved dramatically.

I realised in a group situation that this would have never happened and if it meant that I started my reading programme at 8:30 in the morning to cater for this need, then so be it.


As Rita says ‘Kids don’t learn from people they don’t like’

No comments:

Post a Comment