Monday 17 August 2015

Happy Birthday !


It’s our birthday!
Who doesn’t love a birthday and not many of us can say we are 143 years old.

As a team we decided to make the most of it. We set aside Friday to be a whole party day.

We created cupcake toppers, made party hats and decorated a room so we could celebrate.

When we started planning this we used ‘our’ knowledge of what we should do. Most of the day, the students planned but in the end we had ‘set up’ the ideas. Although they designed their own cupcakes and designed the room, part of me now wishes we had let them decide a lot more.
Don’t get me wrong, it was a fun day and the students loved it. But I still feel we decide a lot for them and are not giving them a voice to lead us. (This is one area I haven't yet achieved this year). But what was amazing about the day is we covered so much of the curriculum and Key Competencies in this day with out have the usual day of maths, reading, writing etc.

Sometimes it is hard. With so many great ideas flying about it, you can feel overwhelmed with what you should and shouldn’t be doing. Our team has had so many changes this year and I always have to remember that whatever we decide and do needs to always be what is best for our students.

In the end the students had a great time and my own reflections and changes can be put into the planning for next year.
Some highlights of the day were;

Biggest surprise- many of them had never played ‘pass the parcel’
Greatest moment- so many of my students telling me it was the best day ever ( and now I am reflecting on how to create this most days!).
That we had an awesome day!





 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment