Monday 17 August 2015

They say the question is critical.

This term I have had to embark on this based around writing.

My head is full of wonderings. I can't say ideas as I feel I don't have anything concrete at all to even justify as an inquiry question.

The hurdle started when our advisor for the school asked me a number of question about what I do in class for writing. Everything she was asking me - I  already was doing and with success! I felt no closer to an idea and a little disheartened.

Everyone around me seemed to be coming up or developing questions and I began to feel  I was making the task harder than it was.

My main issues is I already reflect a lot about my own teaching and how this impacts the students I am teaching. Having just had my appraisal I have had a lot of food for thought and have been thinking a lot about how my teaching and learning has changed so much since moving to year 3 and 4.

This term, I have (nearly) a whole new writing group most are students who have yet to meet national standards therefore are a great target group for a teacher inquiry! Like maths I am working with levels and writers I am unfamiliar with.

I started to think I could base my inquiry around what I have done in the past with my students who have been writing at Level 2 and 3. In the past I have good success with my students and writing. I began to wonder was it because they were able and keen writers or was it the way I was teaching them? There fore I began to see this as a inquiry question.

The question they say is  critical. Get this right, and everything else is easy.

My Question : Can I motivate my writers (who are not 'yet' at national Standards) and increase writing quality so they can experience success as confident, connected and actively involved writers using media and picture book as a stimulus?


Edited: Thanks to feedback from Sonya I have edited my wording of low writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment